What does it cost to start a club?
The DebateAble Curriculum Package comes with everything you need to start up your new debate club. And it is available through Spring 2016 at the nationwide launch price of $99. There are never any per student or other fees, and one purchase allows for a single coach to lead clubs in up to three different locations in perpetuity. Please see our Terms and Conditions for more on the copyright and license.
The Package includes an Evidence Packet and Speech Templates for your first session's debate match - Elementary School Students Should Be Required To Have Homework. In future sessions if you have returning debaters, you will want to purchase Evidence Packets with a different topic. These are released each Fall, Winter and Spring session and cost $45-$50 each. Evidence Packets and Speech Templates can be re-used, but to keep your debaters engaged, you'll want to make sure that none of your students has used a session's topic in a previous session.
- New teams can expect to spend $200 for their first 12-week session
- Additional sessions in the same school year can expect to spend $75-$100
- After the first year, annual costs can expect to be between $150-$250 per year
Can I make money for myself or my school with a debate club?
Absolutely! Parents typically pay a fee for their child's participation in the club. As the coach, you are free to set the participation fee to whatever you choose. Take a look at these sample budgets and see how much you can make coaching a debate club, or two!
Budget for one club with two 12-week sessions
- Year One
- $300 Spent for curriculum, additional evidence packet, notebooks, pencils, etc.
- $4800 Collected in fees for 12 students x $200 each x 2 sessions
- $4500 Profit for yourself or your school
- Year Two
- $150 Spent for two evidence packets, and supplies
- $6000 Collected in fees for 15 students x $200 each x 2 sessions
- $5850 Profit for yourself or your school
Budget for one club with three 8-week sessions
- Year One
- $350 Spent for curriculum, two additional evidence packets, notebooks, pencils, etc.
- $3645 Collected in fees for 9 students x $135 each x 3 sessions
- $3295 Profit for yourself or your school
- Year Two
- $200 Spent for three evidence packets, and supplies
- $5265 Collected in fees for 13 students x $135 each x 3 sessions
- $5065 Profit for yourself or your school